Have you ever wondered why some of the things you try just don’t seem to work out? And no matter how hard you try the results you want just seem to get further and further away? I’ve been thinking a lot about why I do the things I do and why I try the same or similar approaches to solving problems even when I’m not getting a good result.
I know trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. But I think there is something more to the try and try again ‘phenomenon’ that is making me half crazy. For me (and maybe you too), I think that what I try to do is wrong.
I try to think my way out of a problem. I try to reason with folks that are either hurting me or getting on my nerves. I try to make everyone happy. I try to give my best effort even when I’m dead tired and need to rest. I try to be everything to everybody, even when it harms me. I try to do the right things, all the time. Try, try, try…
But I am coming to learn that the more I try to do and be on my own I am missing three important points on my spiritual walk. Instead of all the foolishness I just mentioned I need to Trust, Rely and Yield to God and then and only then will things work out for my good.
Trust – The Bible is clear that we should trust God and lean not to our own understanding. The following scriptures remind us we are to put our TRUST in Him.
- Psalm 115:9 – But you, Israel: put your trust in God! —trust your Helper! trust your Ruler! Clan of Aaron, trust in God! —trust your Helper! trust your Ruler! You who fear God, trust in God! —trust your Helper! trust your Ruler! (Message)
- Proverbs 21:31 – Do your best, prepare for the worst— then trust God to bring victory. (Message)
- Luke 18:27 – “No chance at all,” Jesus said, “if you think you can pull it off by yourself. Every chance in the world if you trust God to do it.” (Message)
Rely – Isn’t it funny and sad how we think we can live into our purpose in life by relying on our intellect, other people, a job or money? But as the scripture below reminds us, we should rely on God for strength, wisdom, courage, peace, and whatever else we need to live fully into our purpose in life.
- I Corinthians 2:10 – The Spirit, not content to flit around on the surface, dives into the depths of God, and brings out what God planned all along. Who ever knows what you’re thinking and planning except you yourself? The same with God—except that he not only knows what he’s thinking, but he lets us in on it. God offers a full report on the gifts of life and salvation that he is giving us. We don’t have to rely on the world’s guesses and opinions. We didn’t learn this by reading books or going to school; we learned it from God, who taught us person-to-person through Jesus, and we’re passing it on to you in the same firsthand, personal way. (Message)
Yield – Not to our will, but to God’s will for our lives. I am a thinker and as a result I will chew on a problem until it loses its flavor and then stick it in my hair (like the character Vivi in the Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood). What does all this thinking and worrying get me? Nothing but sleepless nights and lately more gray hair. Look at the lesson in the scripture below for the real answer—yield to God’s will for your life.
- Romans 6:13 – Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God. (KJV)
Instead of living life as if you’re pushing a big rock up a hill or running up a down escalator, join me on a path to a more peaceful life and TRY something totally different. You can TRY one step at a time, one day at a time and I know that we will live a more peaceful, productive and prosperous life.