FREE Income Tax Preparation is Available!

Magnifying glass


Now is the time to get your free income tax preparation help! April 15th is the deadline to file your 2012 tax return with the Internal Revenue Service. I would hate for any Sister to end up like some famous movie stars in the ‘big house’ because of tax problems. Take advantage of FREE tax preparation services available.


If you made $51,000 or less you can get FREE tax preparation assistance from the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program.

At VITA Program sites all across the US, IRS-certified volunteers will help you complete a basic income tax return and electronically file it to the IRS.

VITA volunteers are also knowledgeable about all of the special tax credits available to taxpayers. If you are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, or Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled, they will make sure the correct forms are completed.

Click here to find the VITA site in your community.

If you are 60 years of age or older there is a special program to help you get FREE tax preparation assistance through the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program.

TCE Program volunteers can answer your questions about pensions and retirement issues.  Click here to find the TCE site in your community.

If you are brave AND smart, but still want someone to review the tax form you completed on your own or need help electronically filing your tax form, VITA sites can help.

The IRS reminds us we need the following items to have your tax return(s) prepared at a VITA or TCE site:

  • Proof of identification – Picture ID
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
  • Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate

Don’t forget to file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.

Credit: E & K Tax Service

Credit: E & K Tax Service

Finally, if you think you might miss the deadline, it is super easy to get an automatic six-month tax-filing extension. All you have to do is go to the Free File link or file Form 4868.

Don’t delay—make your plans NOW to get your taxes done before the April 15th filing deadline.

Sister Stephanie


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Speak Your Mind


CommentLuv badge

© Copyright Sister Source Enterprises, LLC